Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Surprise Call from Will

It was quite a surprise to pick up the phone last night and hear, "Hi, Mom!" He was instructed to call us and tell us that since he didn't pass the pull-ups portion of the Initial Strength Test, there is a chance he could get held back if he doesn't pass them on his final Physical Fitness Test next Wednesday. We have known this all along, but are grateful that the policy is to call parents and inform them...there was great joy in being able to hear his voice again after so many weeks!

I asked him how he was doing and his immediate response was "great!" His voice sounded strong and he was determined to get through the remainder of boot camp. I asked him if he was worried about the PFT next week, and he said that he's really not. I think he said that he had already been able to do 3...the minimum requirement for passing. It was noisy at his end and noisy at ours, so some of the conversation is difficult to reconstruct. He did say that he has been on light duty because of some sort of 'palsy' in his arm. I imagine it's the one in which he was having numbness in his fingers. They have him on a physical fitness regimen and he said it has been much better. He indicated that he would be ready for the physical challenges facing him, so that was reassuring. I'm sure that he said things I just can't remember, and all the questions I wanted to ask him just flew right out of my mind :-( Oh, well, we'll be able to ask all the questions we want in a couple more weeks. He did say that he can't wait to see everyone again, and when I told him we were praying for him his response was, "Keep praying!" So, we would covet your prayers on his behalf as this test looms large in the week to come. We are absolutely convinced that God is sovereign over all of life, and we will rejoice in what is to come. One thing that we're sure is coming is a "massive" letter he's been working on, which he hoped to mail today. Can't wait for that to arrive -- more details, and something over which to pore!! We'll be sure to keep this blog updated as the days wind down.

7 more days until the PFT (8/27)
13 days until the start of the Crucible (9/2)
22 days until Family Day (9/11)
23 days until Graduation (9/12) :)
And Aaron is coming right along behind...counting down those days, too!

Thanks for your prayers and concern on both Aaron's and Will's behalf. We are forever grateful for the interest that has been shown and the outpouring of love for these much-loved sons. What an adventure they've signed up for!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to Will. Will and Aaron are like one name presented to our Heavenly Father!

Love, Papa and Grammy Bender

Carol said...

Thank you so much for your prayers on Will's behalf! I'm glad he has such wonderful prayer warriors interceding for him. Love you both :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh how I wish I would have been there just to hear his voice! Counting down the days with you!!

Jim and Julie Deaton said...

I know you're still walking on cloud 9 to have been able to hear his voice :)

Anonymous said...

Will be praying for those pull ups next week. So glad you were able to talk to him. Love to all, Dorothy