He started out the letter frustrated. He is still waiting for his Marine Corp-issued glasses so he will have decent glasses that actually are the right prescription. I sent him away with his old glasses because he was supposed to get new ones right away. Here are his comments about that, "Will is back from up north. I would pay money just to see what he looks like. But my stupid glasses are so old, when I see his platoon I can't pick him out." According to his phone call, he should have gotten the new glasses yesterday. We're sure hoping that happened, as good vision is rather important for rifle qualifications!!
Aaron is still hoping that he will be able to attend Will's graduation. He is pretty sure that his Senior DI will allow him to go if there are no rules against that. We are sure hoping that will happen.
He was a bit bummed one day last week, as there was no mail; considering he got 10 letters the day before, he probably ought not complain!
Last week was Swim Week--we got a few details from that. "I learned that my water 'survival' skills aren't that great; I only qualified for the lowest level. It's really difficult to swim, fully dressed with kevlar and a flak jacket on. Oh well, I still qualified to pass."
In a past letter, I had asked Aaron if being taught first time obedience as a child has helped him at all in boot camp. He responded in this letter, saying that he's glad we taught him that. He said it is so obvious that some of the recruits aren't used to being told what to do; some still roll their eyes at the DIs. Unbelievable! He said, "Senior always says how we need instant willingness to obey orders, and I don't mind it at all. All that is different is we used to say, 'Yes, Mom,' now we say 'Aye Aye, Sir.' "
The letter ended quickly; I think a DI showed up!
Thanks to all of you who are praying for, and sending letters to Will and Aaron. That link to home is so very important to both of them. 9 weeks down; 6 to go!
1 comment:
Yay for 6 weeks left - Gettin' closer. Great letter. We are sure prayin his glasses came in on time!
Post a Comment