Friday, August 15, 2008

More "Little Pages" from William!

Thursday's mail brought an envelope containing 12 little memo pad pages...a most welcome item in our mailbox!! It was begun last Sunday and finished up on Monday, so is rather current news. He was on the bus (Sunday) back to MCRD after finishing up Phase II, and was very excited to be entering the third and final phase of his training. "Field Week was pretty intense, and I had absolutely no time to write. The hooch tents are pretty tiny, and there is no ground liner, so it's sleeping bag & dirt!" He did say they had a lot of classes during that time, everything from land navigation and camouflage & concealment to fire team formations. It seemed as if he really enjoyed his time at Camp Pendleton. He's hoping to see Aaron around on base this week, before Aaron leaves for Phase 2 up north. We hope he was able to see him, too!

As has been the case, his concern about getting those pull-ups occupies much of his attention. Since he has been back at the Depot he's been able to get in some concentrated time of practice and is having some success. As of Monday, he had almost been able to get 2 of them...all he needs is 3 in order to pass the final physical fitness test. His confidence is getting stronger that he'll be able to get them, and his Senior Drill Instructor has given him some equipment that should help build the right muscles. He has put himself on another diet, knowing that less weight on his body means an easier time pulling himself up to that bar! Third Phase recruits are allowed to have soft serve ice cream, but he's denying himself that treat until he gets the 3 pull-ups he needs.

His weight continues to drop; as of Monday he was waiting for his new cammies, which would have his name tape...he just couldn't wait for that! The old ones were just way too big for him now, he said. During Field Week they were eating 3 MRE's a day, which totalled about 9,000 calories...but he didn't gain any weight. Can you imagine that? 9,000!! "That's how you know we were working hard."

His Senior told the guys who had shot Expert to purchase their badges the next time they were at the PX...I'm wondering if he'll have to sew that on, too. He'll turn into a veritable Betsy Ross!! He mentioned, in passing, that he would be issued his PFC chevron in a couple of days...his first promotion. I believe it's because of points earned from recruiting others...thanks, Aaron!!! :)

"I think I'm going to medical tomorrow because since Monday of Grass Week my left hand has been a little numb and although I can make a fist just fine, I can't move my last 2 fingers left or right to make a knife hand. So I'm going to have that looked at....NOT.... I just changed my mind. I'll have them look at my left pinky toe, which is pretty gnarly and raw from constantly being in boots (which I never got new ones of) that are a little too small, but I don't want to risk getting dropped for my hand. It's getting better anyway. I think I just pinched a nerve or something." Maybe he missed his calling, and should have gone for some sort of Medic MOS...he's determined to self-diagnose! Later he mentioned that they had inventoried boots that morning, so he was hoping to get some new (larger) ones before the Crucible.

Sunday night they had Interior Guard duty, "which meant we were patrolling the base with our M16's. We worked in 2 hour shifts, so we hit the rack at 1800 and lights was at 0430. That was pretty cool." Things are much more laid back for them this week, which is called "Team Week" on the training matrix. They're reviewing for their final test on their "Knowledge", giving blood, having their first uniform fit, doing work around the base (cleaning, doing light maintenance), etc. It has been a nice change of pace, but things will rev back up as they prepare for the 54 hour Crucible, coming in just 2 weeks from next Tuesday. They did receive another penicillin shot...another painful experience that probably made it uncomfortable to sit for a while :)

He was anticipating mail call on Monday night. They had not received any mail the previous week because they were in the field, so he was looking forward to seeing what envelopes had HIS name on them! It's still the highlight of the day. Once they begin making travel plans, they should be allowed to call home. That's something we're all looking forward to! It will be a short call, but it will be so good to hear his voice again. It has been a while.

"Everything is becoming very real now -- the responsibility, the seriousness of our mission, and yet the incredible pride and joy of being a United States Marine. I just can't believe 2 things: 1) I actually manned up and joined the Marines, knowing how hard it would be, and, 2) that I've made it this far and I'm only a few weeks until I've made it. I'm beginning to understand why graduating will be the proudest day in my life.....The obstacles in my path are daunting, but I know that by God's strength & through his faithfulness I will make it."

"So all in all so far has been good at MCRD for 3rd phase, so I'm pretty happy...Everything is almost wrapping up -- all the things we've learned are going to be tested, and I'm ready. I've always been a good test taker :)." He's right...that stinker HAS always been a great test taker! It used to drive me crazy, because he did so little studying and never seemed to stress about upcoming tests.

There's nothing like finding a letter in the mailbox -- and it keeps us going until we get the next one. I told him that one of the things I'll miss once he's done with boot camp is his writing! Emails and phone calls just aren't the same. It's wonderful to hear what's going on in his heart and mind, and to know that he continues to rely on God to get through it all. Once again, we thank you for your prayers and your letters to him. They have been a blessing.

9 weeks down, only 4 more to go...

18 days until the Crucible
27 days until Family Day
28 days until graduation!!! Woo Hoo!!! :)

2 comments:

Jim and Julie Deaton said...

Thank the Lord for little pages and new boots and expert badge and 27 days and 28 days!

:-)

Anonymous said...

He's really doing it!!! Graduation day will be a huge proud day for me, too. Hope he got those bigger boots, gnarled toes are not a good thing. Although, he could get a "toe" handicap tag along with me. Lovbe and prayers, Dorothy