Yesterday we got our longest letter yet, written over a few days--from Friday, Aug 8-Sunday, Aug 10. It included a bunch of little papers like one of Will's earlier letters--evidently sometimes they are in a place where they can write, but don't have their "letter gear."
We were very encouraged by the tone of Aaron's letter. Boot camp is very physically and mentally exhausting, but he has an incredible amount of determination and resolve, with a level of excitement to accomplish this goal. His humor really came out in this letter...I'll try my best to summarize without writing a book!
On Friday they had Initial Drill. If you remember from Will's earlier letter, the platoons compete against one another for "bragging rights," and this is also the first step towards becoming honor platoon. "We can definitely win; we can also come in last place, so we'll see what happens." He continued the next day, "As a whole, we did pretty good, but a couple of individuals kind of messed it up for the rest of us, so our score wasn't the best. Senior wasn't too upset though." Their DI that is in charge of teaching drill to them had to have his appendix removed, leaving them without their instructor the last few days before Initial Drill. Maybe that's why their Senior didn't come down hard on them for not winning...just a guess.
"So now we are Phase II recruits. It's pretty nice. The top button on our blouses are unbuttoned and our trousers are bloused instead of cuffed. It's interesting how they have it set up that the farther along you get in boot camp, the more you look like Marines. We don't get our name tapes, the tags that say US Marines, and Miller on your blouse until third phase. After Final Drill we get those and we can get a crew cut. So I'm really looking forward to that. I can't even tell you how good it feels to be progressing in training." To me, "blouses" and "trousers" don't sound very Marine-like, but I guess that's the official names for those garments! :)
The next part of the letter was written during the middle of the night, just after he got off fire watch. Fire watch is definitely his least favorite duty, "It's very mind numbing to get woken up in the middle of the night just to get dressed and stand in one spot." He wrote that he misses his DI that had to leave, and how much the guys depend on the DIs for everything. He said it was going to be weird making his own decisions when he gets out.
Aaron was really looking forward to Swim Week, which was Monday-Wednesday of this week, but was concerned with a high obstacle in the confidence course called the "Stairway to Heaven," a ladder thing about 60 ft. straight up that he had to climb (he's not big on heights). I guess he made it (no news is good news). :)
Boot camp involves a lot of classroom time. Aaron commented that it is all quite easy compared to the AP classes in high school, but the info they learn at boot camp is "a lot cooler."
Sunday morning he wrote, "I'm jealous cause right now you guys are getting ready to go to a real church with all the people you know and love; I really miss FBC. I wish I could have at least started CnC (the college group) before leaving, but we left so quick. The worst thing about Sundays is no mail call. Sometimes mail call is the only thing that keeps me going through the day. Two more months till I am out of here; it doesn't even seem that long. I'm actually looking forward to it all. I also can't wait to show you, Mom, how to make a real rack--not with all those dumb pillows that you can never use. I make a tight rack--I actually enjoy making my rack. I like being tucked in and sleeping at attention now; I don't sleep like a teenager any more." That is so funny to me because he NEVER would leave any sheets or covers tucked in under the mattress; everything had to be loose and he would sprawl all over the bed when he slept...too funny!
Evidently sometimes they have to hand wash their clothes..."It's a major pain. I feel like an Amish woman while I'm washing my clothes!" He doesn't enjoy cleaning the house; what he used to think was cleaning here at home, was not nearly as thorough as it is in the house of platoon 1054!! Maybe I need to take some lessons from the DIs !
The Senior was updating the recruits on some "outside" news; Aaron's comment about Brett Favre going to the Jets was, "What the heck is up with that? I hope Will hasn't found out yet, cause he fires a loaded weapon every day and he might just kill himself!" I'm sure Recruit Forsyth, die-hard Packers fan, will not take that news too well!!
Needless to say, Aaron misses Will very much, but sees the Lord's hand in that. It is hard for him to think of Will getting to come home 4 weeks ahead of him, but he accepts where he is and is grateful for the progress he is making. They are both back at MCRD for this week until Aaron leaves Saturday for Camp Pendleton. I'm praying that the Lord would allow them just a small window of time to see each other and perhaps talk. Aaron is hoping that he will be allowed go to Will's graduation on September 12th, but no definitive answer yet.
Aaron is excited about moving north to Pendleton. "I really want to fire my rifle; I've drilled with it so much, I just want to shoot it." I remember Will expressing the same sentiment. :) Everyone says that the first phase goes the slowest, then the next weeks seem go by much faster. We're hoping that is true!
Please continue to keep both Will and Aaron in your prayers, that the Lord would guide and keep them each day, and give them the strength needed to accomplish each task. We so appreciate the love and prayer support you have given our families. For David & Carol, 4 weeks left; for us, it's 8 weeks. Yes, we are counting the days! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I was so excited to click on the blog link and see a new post! I'm sure it was a wonderful belated birthday present. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us :)
How exciting to have Aaron know how to make a bed! He is being true to form - before ya know it, he'll be ironing better than you can ;)
Great to hear how well he's doing! Praise God from whom all blessings flow!
Post a Comment