Thursday, July 31, 2008

News from Alpha Co.

The mailman brought us a most welcomed piece of mail today...news from William. It was written over a period of 6 days, added to little by little as he found time to write. The pace is much faster during this phase; now for him, sleep supercedes his need to write -- amazing!!

The first 2 weeks of Phase II are spent preparing for rifle qualification. He is thoroughly enjoying doing live fire exercises, and his Senior DI told him he thought he would have no problem shooting "expert"... very encouraging. The "snapping in" classes get old -- assuming one of the firing positions and dry-firing. He finds it hard to remain on his knees for that long; when he stands it takes a few minutes for everything to get back to normal and the blood to start flowing again!

So far they've been on the 3 and 5 mile hikes, which he found satisfying to complete...finishing near the front of the pack! This Sat. they'll be going on their 8 mile trek, but he didn't sound worried about being able to do it. Apparently his feet have healed some, because he didn't mention blisters again. Maybe he was able to get his boots replaced with correct-sized ones??

Last Thurs. was a bad day--lots of IT for the platoon due to an "oversight" by one of the recruits. It sounded like he was extremely discouraged that day, just wanting to get it done so that he could get back home to see everyone. "I just have to get through the next 6 weeks. " The letters from home continue to encourage him...he loves hearing how everyone is doing.

Then, on Sunday, listen to the change in tone: "It's crazy how you just get used to the way things run around here. I'm totally used to the schedule & pace of life, and I think that in some ways I enjoy it. At the time it's not fun to be rushed everywhere, but the end results are that we get so much done in such a small amount of time, and that does appeal to me." They "played" two sheets and a blanket that morning..."ugh...it's the worst."
I found a link that explained it: Two Sheets and a Blanket.

Tomorrow is his rifle qualification, and then next week they have Field Week. One of the recruits who was just finishing up Phase II told him that it was "dirty, messy, and all you eat are MRE's." Will's response: "... that sounds pretty tight!" It's every boy's dream!! They're feeding them MRE's now, to get them used to them for next week and for the Crucible, later on in week 12. "I really feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm really settling in. I'm not miserable here -- I still want to be done and home, but I can bear to stay here for a while longer." Someone told him that in Army basic training the recruits are allowed to take their cell phones to use after hours. (Does anyone know if that's true?) Anyway, the Marine recruit response? "Little girls!"

They told them that they are not allowed to show affection while in uniform -- I don't think that includes hugging your family at graduation!! He is looking forward to that moment, and so are we :).

The last part of the letter was written just this past Monday, the beginning of Table Week. He continues to enjoy being on the range, live firing. Afterwards they break into groups of 15 or so and meet with their coach. In that meeting, they just have a chance to talk -- he wanted to know about them, so they talked about gas prices, the election, the plane that was cracked on its way to Australia, etc., just normal things. That was so refreshing to Will, and I'm sure to the other guys as well...just what they needed after the craziness of the first 6 weeks!

Prayer request for him: that he would be ready for the final PFT, 4 weeks from now. His weight is continuing to drop, so that should be a huge help with those pull-ups that have eluded him. There is a chance that he will get dropped back if unable to do them, which would be hard at this late date. We KNOW that all of this is in God's hands though, and we are at peace with whatever happens, knowing that it will be for God's glory and William's best. We appreciate your prayers on his behalf.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know we'll be praying Mom... so good to finally hear from him!

Anonymous said...

Finally news arrived!! I can see your smiling face when you saw the letter. Will have to check out that Two Sheets and a Blanket. It sounds intriguing. I'll keep him in my prayers for that 8 mile hike and the pull ups. Love, Dorothy

Anonymous said...

I was going to call to find if we had heard anything, but I thought, "duh, Stacey, join the 21st century and check the blog!" so here I am. How convenient :0) Can't believe how good God has been to both boys!