It's been a long week with no word, but finally, we got a letter yesterday. I was so disappointed when the mailman passed us by yesterday, but later in the afternoon, I had a call from Carol. I automatically thought she was just calling to tell me she heard from Will, so I asked right away, "Is it a good day for you?" She promptly told me it was a good day for us both--she had letters from Will AND Aaron. Evidently, Aaron thinks we are still in Ohio and mailed it to their house. Anyway, who cares about gas prices--I was on the road to Upland within minutes--HAD to read that letter!!
Overall, I'd say Aaron is doing quite well. He is staying healthy and injury-free, for which we are most thankful. He goes through phases of contentment and depression, really missing home. He said he was anxious for us to be back from Ohio (we've been home since Sunday), so we are not so far away from him. It helps him to think of what we are doing throughout the day, it makes him feel "a little better."
A reoccurring theme with both recruits seems to be the lack of ability of some in their platoons to follow directions. Aaron struggles with the reality that some of them do not take boot camp or the DI's seriously, which results in punishment for the rest. Aaron hasn't referred to "I.T."--he just says "punishment." Maybe he's afraid it will make me worry more if I know he's being IT'd. He's probably right, but I'm working on that! :)
Aaron is continuing to lose weight, for which he is quite excited. I honestly don't know if you guys will be able to recognize me! Can't even wait to see how different he looks!
It sounds like training is going well, overall. He spoke of martial arts training and the obstacle course. He said he is always sore, but so is everyone else. He said that being constantly sore is mentally draining. We don't get too many details of the training--Carol and I were laughing that Will is like a reporter, giving every minute detail; Aaron just writes how he is feeling, with very little detail. So I get my detail from Will's letters, assuming that is what Aaron is experiencing too--he just doesn't tell us about it! :) A week from today he will finish Phase I and be on his way to Camp Pendleton for phase II.
Aaron continues to crave letters and pictures from home; we've been printing collages of pictures on regular paper, as we've heard that is the best way for the recruits to get pictures.
God is definitely doing a great work in Aaron's heart. He wrote of how he sees now that he took so much for granted when he was at home. He referred to his difficulty in getting out of bed in the morning, not wanting to mow lawn as asked, and other things he used to do at home that now disgust him. He even told Brent that he is gonna mow the lawn the first Saturday I get back. And it will probably be at 5:30 in the morning, so make sure your windows are closed so it doesn't wake you up. Sure had a good laugh over that one!!
We are confident that these difficult circumstances are being used by God to mold and mature Aaron and Will. Thank you for your continued prayers and letters to both of them. It is such an encouragement to both our families to know that you all care so much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We rejoice with you at the news from Aaron, thanking God that just when you think it's gonna be too unbearable, a gift arrives - and unexpectedly at that!
We continue to uplift both the recruits and their families during this wonderful, difficult, growing and most of all faith building time. Thanks for letting us all have a "peak" and giving us specific opportunities to pray!
We love both of your families dearly :)
Hang on Momma! You can do it!
Thank you both, Teresa and Carol, for the postings. We were anxiously waiting with you for the next news. Glad both boys are in good health, giving them the energy they need to complete each day of training. Sounds like both young men will be harder to recognize minus the weight! Continuing in prayer with you. Ana
Post a Comment