Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Happy Mamma!

It has been a tough week, waiting to hear from Aaron again. Our fervent prayer has been that Aaron would see God's hand in each aspect of this training time, including this tough time of conditioning and waiting to be picked up. Well, I have to say that the letter we received yesterday was a huge confirmation to us that God is, indeed, working in Aaron's life.

Aaron's letters are pretty random, as he writes bits and pieces over several days when he has free moments. I think it actually gives a pretty good indication of what is going on inside his head; he doesn't have much time to gather his thoughts before he writes--he just writes.

Here are some excerpts:

On a positive note, I've been making a lot of time to read the Bible lately. I just recently started reading Job. One of the only times that I feel safe is when that book is in my hand. I have never felt the need for God so much...Mom, it's like what Uncle Mark told me at breakfast, about knowing God. I definitely know that God is here with me. Since Will is gone, He's like the only one I want with me...I know that it was God's plan for me to be in PCP. I'm actually witnessing to some of the recruits...invited one to church...I'm content about being here...this place is the worst and the best place ever...I can honestly say if I had a chance to leave and come home, I wouldn't...I'm learning so much; I'm going to be way ahead of the game when I get picked up...I sure wish I could go to church with you guys today, I could really use a Pastor Dave sermon right now...

And then there was the humor:

...today we got in trouble because two guys that have been here (in PCP) forever tied up one of the new recruits with duct tape, so right now I'm waiting to see what kind of trouble we are in...
...they have me eating all kinds of gross things like salad and broccoli. I'm almost beginning to enjoy eating salad, though I still hate broccoli...I've almost completely crossed over, and it's only been 2 weeks...
...Mom, don't know if you noticed, but you told me on the phone to stay strong and I said, "Aye Aye, Mom," afterwards I realized that I'm completely losing it!...I call God, "Sir" and say "this recruit" instead of "I" or "me" while praying, without even realizing it until later...
...I dream about coming home to your cooking, Mom...when I get home I want you to make your spinach and strawberry salad... (never thought I'd hear those words!)
...the worst thing about boot camp is that you're never allowed to sit...except at chow...I really just want to plop down on a couch and put my feet up...

Specific prayer requests for Aaron:

...patience with my time stuck here, diligence in my workouts and time with God, and strength to live day to day without you guys...

Thank you so much for your continued prayers for Will and Aaron. This experience will stretch and grow them far beyond what we can even imagine. God has, in His sovereignty, chosen to separate them, but in doing so, is showing them that He is their source of strength and comfort.

4 comments:

Carol said...

I wish you could see my smile as I read this...for the third time!! How we rejoice with you in God's goodness to Aaron. I can only imagine what the duct tape incident entailed and what the consequences were to the platoon :) ...probably more like :( We'll be waiting for the next letter to come!!

Ana said...

Thank you for posting the parts of Aaron's letter. It's so good to be able to know what's on his mind, what to pray for, and to be able to "feel" with him some of the things he is going through. I was so happy when I read that he would choose to stay if he had the choice!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to read of how God is using the difficult circumstances to grow Aaron. I know he must be such a blessing to those around him! We can't wait to hear the outcome of the duct tape incident!! :)

Unknown said...

That was great to read! and brought a smile to my face! Seems like Aaron is really growing, man! Do i miss those boys!

Please say hello to him for me next letter you write =)