Friday, July 4, 2008

And another "happy mamma".....

Thursday's mail brought another letter to us from William. I was telling someone that he writes like he speaks, so it's interesting/humorous/tear-jerking all at once. He continues to be upbeat and optimistic in spite of the difficulties. He experienced his first IT...and survived :). He said a couple of the guys patted his back and gave him a "knowing look". That was encouraging to him! I'm sure they'll all have that knowing look before this thing is over! He's on a diet now, trying to get to his retention weight. The 3 meals a day routine put weight on him at first, but he's confident that the new eating regimen along with the PT will take it right back off and that he'll get down to where he needs to be.

Mail call is the highlight of the day. He commented that one of the guys got "like 7 things of mail. WOW." Later in the letter, he commented that "It's funny how much I enjoy mail call -- getting contact from home is the best feeling in the world. You get to step outside yourself and realize that back at home your family is still carrying on status quo." I don't think he fully realized just how much letters would come to mean to him, so if you have time and the inclination, drop him a note. (I know that Aaron would love to receive some as well.) Email me (learning.patience@yahoo.com) for an address.

Some humor: "This kid next to me just ate this tablet thinking it was gum, but it turned out to be a tablet that turns your teeth red where you have not been brushing. His mouth was all red. Wow -- he's from Iowa, you know how they are over there :)" I can just imagine how that must have tickled Will's funny bone...he probably belly-laughed!

On Thursday they had to pass the Obstacle ("O") Course, which involves mainly upper body strength. He surprised himself, I think, by passing it. That's encouraging, because he'll need that upper body strength to be able to do his chin-ups! On Friday, they had more of the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program training. He said that his years of taekwondo actually made it really easy. I'm sure it was good to be able to do something easier for a change :) He still doesn't like PT (Physical Training), but on Saturday he managed to get through it in spite of "coughing, chills, fever, rattling chest" and then went on to the 2 mile run..."I made it." Then they spent an hour and a half doing drills like sprints and "stuff". I'm sure he didn't have any trouble sleeping that night! When he wrote on Sat. night, he said, "Tomorrow is church again -- I'm stoked. I'm not sure if you got my first letter about it, but it's actually pretty good. The service is a little shallow but it is an amazing experience to be able to sing and just truly appreciate the greatness of God. He is an amazing God -- all powerful, all providing." You can imagine how that thrills the hearts in this home! He had a chance to visit a little with Aaron on Sunday; hopefully they'll continue to be able to see each other at least that one time a week. I know it helps them both to see someone from home.

His optimistic spirit showed through in the following little tidbit: "The pace is not as crazy as I had imagined. We're in for a long haul, but it's only like 10 1/2 weeks left. That is a good thought. 2 down, 10 1/2 to go." Good for you, Will! It's the common, everyday things he misses, like "being able to just talk about life, eating dinner as a family, running guy errands and having good conversations with Dad, talking about my day with Mom, hanging out with Laura, etc." He said that his phone call home was the hardest phone call he's ever made...we could hear it in his voice now that we look back on it. He's hoping to have a chance to call again sometime, just to talk!

The letter came with the flap sealed with surgical tape. We wondered why; it turns out that somehow all his envelopes got wet and sealed together, so until he buys new ones they'll come looking "a little weird"!

He has made a lot of friends and is now bunking with the guy who's his squad leader. When they line up for drill, he's right behind this guy, so has to pay close attention to make sure he's turning at the right time. He has said several times that he really likes drilling; it probably fits in with his law and order kind of mind! (Well, not that that transferred to keeping his room clean!)

His concluding paragraph reads, "Honestly, I'm settling in to boot camp. I still hate PT, but other than that it's not too bad. I enjoy drill, and don't mind them controlling everything I can and can't do. There are just a lot of idiots who can't shut their mouths..." It has only been a couple of weeks, but God is at work in ways that are visible to us already. There is a fresh appreciation for home and his faith has become much more precious to him. We look forward to all that God has in store for him over the next 10 weeks. 3 down...10 to go......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love reading the snippets of his letter, again! Can't wait for the next episode...

Unknown said...

His Humor, Man it made me laugh! =)

lol- Its amazing to think they've ONLY been gone for three weeks!

Please tell him i said hell0 =)