Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Word at last!

Today the mailman is my favorite person....a letter was delivered from the Recruit Depot in San Diego! It seems like it has been forever, yet it really hasn't -- just 10 days. William said I could post the letter, so here are some of the highlights:

It is Wednesday morning, about 7 o'clock. Last night we got our first sleep since we got here. I think we were up for forty something hours. Tuesday early morning was no fun at all -- we received 50 pounds of equipment and then stood outside holding all of our gear for around an hour and a half. The food isn't bad, but I never seem hungry. As I look around and see all the recruits who are almost completed, it makes me want to be a Marine all the more. I know that this will be the hardest thing I've ever done....
Right now we're waiting for our shots...they have modernized a bit...the locations are spread out across the body. I am not writing from the perspective of the DI because Friday is pick-up and thus we don't have our final platoons and stuff....It has been a hard couple days so far, but I'm making the best of it. It's hard to believe I'm going to be gone for so long, but you do what you have to do. Aaron and I are not bunked together, but at night our heads are only about two feet away. But it doesn't really matter anyway because so far we have not been supposed to talk to anyone else. Well, I had my shots and I must say the butt shot hurts like mad.....
I've been issued most of my gear, with the exception of dog tags, my debit card, etc. It feels amazing to be wearing digital cammies that are Marine Corps that I am legitimately entitled to wear. I also love wearing my cover and addressing my superiors and whatnot. When you see a drill instructor or similar people, you are supposed to say "Good (time of day), Sir!" So as you hear that getting closer you know to straighten up. My fear/anxiety about my physical condition has diminished and now I'm resolved to simply give it my all and let the chips fall where they may.....
Well, it must be past ten now, and everyone is supposed to be sleeping. So I resort to my new sneaky hobby of letter-writing. I'm basically a ninja-puma hybrid though, so don't worry. :) I think the worst part of this so far has been last night -- I was dreaming about our family having a nice conversation when I was awakened to the confusion of 129 guys trying to get ready STAT. Well, I'm going to read my Bible a bit and go to bed. I'll be back tomorrow. ;) I love you guys. I'm not going to lie, I miss you like crazy. But this will be and is the best thing I've ever done....
I didn't have a chance to write at all till now today (Thurs.). It's after lunch. Today we got all our new uniforms -- the ones we didn't have before, like the desert cammies. It's hard to believe I've only been here 3 days......


We are so thankful to have heard from him, and are thanking God for sustaining him. The bits of humor and the smiley faces he inserted are reassuring to this mother's heart! We continue to covet your prayers on his (and Aaron's) behalf as they go through their training.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting it up Mom! I know I'll be rereading it often! :)

Jim and Julie Deaton said...

We are rejoicing with you at the letter that the mailman brought you today! The best gift to a mother's heart :)

We faithfully pray that God will continue to work in Aaron and Will's lives to make them the men He has called them to be!

Jim and Julie Deaton said...

Wow! That was great to read! I do miss them, and they have been on my heart to pray for!

Still can't believe they are there....


~Kimberli~