Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Letter from Aaron!!

Yesterday was definitely a good day for our families, with both of us getting letters from Will and Aaron. Carol got hers first and called me at work to read it to me. I called Meghan right away at home to go check the mail (hoping there would be one from Aaron--dreading the disappointment if one wasn't in the box). Well, it was there, and she tore it open to read it to me.

As you can imagine, week one was very tough on both the boys. The lack of sleep and waiting in long lines for processing were in Aaron's words "completely mind numbing." They are now in a routine, getting about 8 hours of sleep per night. They are up at 4 am for chow (that means bedtime is 8 pm??), which is quite humorous to us, as Aaron was notorious for sleeping so soundly through his alarm that he wouldn't even wake up enough to hit the snooze button!! Guess those days are over!

Last Friday was a very tough day for Aaron. He and Will had their IST (Initial Strength Test). They both passed the run and the crunches, but for some reason they held Aaron back in PCP (Physical Conditioning Platoon) and moved Will on. He tried to explain it to us in his letter, but we are still unclear exactly what caused him to be held back. Anyhow, the big prayer request is for tomorrow when he will repeat the IST. He has asked us specifically to pray that he would be able to pass it and be picked up by Golf Company on Friday, so that his training can begin.

It is hard for Will and Aaron to be separated from each other now, but we are trusting the Lord in His sovereignty, that He knows what is best for our boys. We continue to pray that they would wholly lean on our Savior, and draw their strength from Him each step along the way.

Aaron wrote this regarding his time in PCP, "It's really depressing here. I just want to move on. Though it really stinks here, I have absolutely no regrets about coming here. This will continue to whip me into shape. Please just pray for me as I continue to live here. This has been by far the worst week ever invented. At night I just wonder why I joined, but when the DI gives those inspirational speeches, I instantly remember."

We so appreciate your prayers for Will and Aaron. Thank you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad that you heard from Aaron! Thanks for the update and the prayer request! Look forward to seeing you tonight. :)

Carol said...

As much as they have to keep their focus, so do we! I keep reminding myself that this is what we were expecting...tough times these first few weeks, until they get into the routine of it all. This is such a HUGE transition for these boys. I can't believe they actually are up before 5am...can you?? I guess drill instructors can motivate them in ways we never could! :)

Jim and Julie Deaton said...

Thanks for the update on Aaron! What a relief and welcomed gift to receive word from them!

I keep reading the word "boys" - I think that will change shortly into "men" :)

We continue to faithfully pray for both Aaron and Will and are excited to see what God does in their lives through this experience :)