Well, I hardly know where to begin, but here are some highlights:
Tuesday, July 1
"...in MCMAP we trained with fixed bayonets. That's always cool. Pugil sticks are not as amazing as they sound -- you're only fighting for like 30 seconds and you're done."
"We're really working hardcore on our drill preparing for T-17 (training day 17, this Saturday, July 12) which is Initial Drill."
"Supposedly after this week you're completely in boot camp mode and it's not even bad any more. I keep hearing that it gets easier. We'll see about that."
He is excited to go up to Camp Pendleton in another week and a half for Field Week. "...that should go quickly and be a lot of fun. Already time is passing quickly -- it's already well into week 3, I think. I'm also looking forward to cleaning and breaking down our rifles."
Wednesday, July 2
He's still not too crazy about PT and commented that the fatigue is pretty intense by the end of every day..."crashing into the rack at night is the best thing ever. Well, second only to reading/writing mail."
"You know, time really is passing quickly - total boot camp =13 weeks, minus the 2 1/2 weeks I've done already = 10.5 weeks, minus Marine week = 9.5 weeks. And I'll be done...graduated...and first phase is almost halfway over. Then we're off to Pendleton, and it will get fun. Hard, but fun." I always knew those homeschool math lessons would pay off someday :) He's anxious to get this behind him, go to Combat Training school, and then get on to Language School in Monterey. "That's what gets me pumped about this -- boot camp is not the end, it's the beginning..."
Passing the obstacle course was a huge victory for him; "I didn't think I'd make it past the first bar!" He knows that he has to continue to push himself as hard as he can...and then some!
Mail call that night brought 3 letters :), so it was a great evening for him. Mail continues to be the highlight of each day...
I had asked him about his daily routine. He says it goes something like this: "lights (on) at 5, chow at 5:30, then usually some classes and some drill, chow at 11-12ish, PT, drill, chow at 6 or 7, drill, random stuff, hygiene, evening free time, lights. In every single event there is a great deal of order & precision -- done a certain way & faster than you can imagine...about 1 1/2 minutes to make your rack, which is pretty amazing in and of itself." Okay, I think I'll test him on the bed-making when he's home on leave :)
His "diet" is not half rations, as we had thought, but full portions of everything that's not fatty and no dessert. He says it's not a big deal at all...I don't know -- no desserts sounds like a pretty big deal to me!!
He's missing all his "little gremlins" like mad...Sophie, James, Chloe, John, Peter, Titus...the whole gang! They're missing "Uncle" too...
His p.s. that night..."Other people can write if they want -- my friends and stuff."
Thursday, July 3
That morning they had to do the obstacle course again -- twice this time, though. The second time through, they had to climb the rope, slap the wooden support beam 3 times, yell out their senior drill instructor's name, platoon number, and shout "discipline through pain." When he got to that part the second time, his whole body was shaking, but "I made it all the way through." His growing physical strength is an answer to prayer.
He loves letters because "it's neat to see how everything is going in other people's lives other than my own -- gets your mind off the tiredness, a constant state here at boot camp."
"I really feel like I'm settling in now though -- it doesn't seem new or outrageous at all now. But time is going by pretty quickly -- days are slow, but weeks are fast. It's gotten to the point where DI's screaming is not intimidating, it's just annoying. So I try not to mess up just so that I don't have to hear them."
They learned unarmed manipulation: wrist locks and arm bars and "stuff". He can't help but add, "Now I'm ready for some hard core bar fights." We NEVER know what he'll say next :)
Just what a mother DOESN'T need to hear: "I think the worst part has been that I have not been able to make it to the PX (post exchange) yet, so I'm wearing the same unwashed undershirt from that first Friday -- Super gross!" You might say that, Will!! (Hopefully by now he's made it to the PX and bought some more....hopefully....) "But whatever...it will get better when that gets taken care of."
"Overall though, boot camp is not as bad as I originally expected -- it's tough, but I'm not miserable. Obviously I want to come home, but I'm not regretting my decision or anything, and I don't really dread anything. I've made it this far, I know I can make it to the end. God is faithful, and he has carried me through the trials of every day. I'm just stoked to see what he will do in the coming weeks." (smiles from the mom and dad upon reading this last paragraph)
His class that night lasted longer than expected, because "people ask dumb questions!" Evening chow was still to come, and "once we've eaten chow it's all good, because that's when we shower and get mail and stuff, which is always the best part of my day -- knowing that I will have a letter waiting for me is the best feeling in the world. I don't know how some of these guys who don't get much mail (survive, I guess he meant to insert). That must be a ridiculously lonely existence. It's funny -- a couple guys pretend they don't miss home, but when they get mail they seem pretty dang excited. It makes me chuckle inside thinking about them trying to play tough guy, but we all know the truth. I'm sure they miss home like mad. I know I sure do." Seems there's always something to make him chuckle inside!!
"I'm really looking forward to swim week -- that should be a nice break from the traditional PT...swimming is always better than running! Plus, I just enjoy the water.....and then we have field week, which should be fun (hard as all get out, but fun) because it'll be a nice change to shoot our rifles as opposed to just lugging them around and drilling with them -- treating them as weapons instead of 8 pound decorations!"
In the Third Phase, their names get put on their "cammies", which he is REALLY looking forward to...along with that amazing feeling of belonging finally to the Corps. He knows that all these things are little steps toward graduation and finally being called a Marine, and he's motivated about walking across that Parade Deck, stepping tall. "So yeah, life will be hard for the next couple weeks, but the payoff is soooooo worth it."
More about the importance of mail! "I wonder what you guys are doing right now? I'm excited to find out in coming letters. I'm so happy they allow unlimited mail -- it's a lifesaver. If people from church want to write, by all means -- I'd love to hear from my friends and whoever." Hmmm...this seems to be a recurring theme. Thanks so much to all of you who've been there and let us know how important writing to him would be!!
Well, back to the 3rd of July....the night was no fun. Apparently some "retards" snuck some food from chow into class and were found out. Out to the sand pit went the whole platoon for some IT. I'm sure there are a couple of knuckleheads in every platoon. I'm sure these two guys won't be very popular till they shape up!! He's not too crazy about 20% of his platoon...."they are always talking." For some reason, that just makes me laugh! Somehow I can hear those very words coming out of his high school teachers' mouths.....
Friday, July 4
They didn't have any PT that day. They were allowed to go to a theater on base and watch the movie "300". It was a nice break from the routine. Then they spent the afternoon drilling, which he still likes, but "there are a couple kids who can't seem to be able to do anything, so we got screamed at for like 20 minutes. But them it seemed like something clicked, 'cause we did well after that." It reminds me of the old Gomer Pyle, USMC shows!! I'm sure he was thinking ahead to this Friday's Initial Drill, when each one has to get it right in order to score well. If they manage to come in 1st or 2nd, they'll be in the running for "Honor Platoon". That would make the DI's happy!! Conversely..........well, you know....
On Sunday, Fox Company was there in their dress uniforms, having been through the Crucible and receiving their Eagle, Globe, & Anchor's (EGA's), and that was extremely moving and motivating. Sometime around Week 10 of training, each platoon will be photographed and it will be posted on www.devildogs.info. We'll post a link to it when it's up -- can hardly wait!! It's week 3 now, so not that much longer.
He was able to talk to Aaron again on Sunday; he looks forward to worship service and the chance to visit a bit with him each week. It's encouraging to us to see the growth, physical, mental, and (most important to us) spiritual, in each letter that arrives. We continue to covet your prayers on behalf of both he and Aaron, as they learn to walk by faith and lean on their heavenly Father.
(Almost) 4 weeks down, 9 to go......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Thanks so much for taking the time to write so much from Will's letters. I love hearing about all he's going through. Even when he mentions the harder stuff he's going through, there's always humor not far behind...how awesome. Can't wait to see that picture on the 10th week!
I see it's not just Will who has benefited from homeschool math! :) This just makes me even more eager to read the letters. If the van didn't have a flat tire, I'd drive up today (and if I didn't have to carry the boys, I'd walk!) :)
I could visualize Will's face as I read his words. Thanks for posting in such great detail, Carol. The countdown reminded me of our family making a paper chain and removing a link a day as we counted down Dad's return from Korea. I've started another letter to Will and will share that with him. Can't wait for graduation. Love, Dorothy
Dorothy, your paper chain reminded me of when Jim was in Okinawa and I made a paper chain counting down the days until he came home too :)
Good memories.
Thanks to you and Teresa for all your updates and the time that it takes to keep us posted. It gives us specifics to pray for and lets us know how they are doing.
Post a Comment